Re: [Olga.Caprotti@risc.uni-linz.ac.at: Research Institute for Applications of Computer Algebra: Licenses]

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:

> > | (b) any software, hardware, or device, other than such Participant's
> > | Contributor Version, directly or indirectly infringes any patent, then

> > I would consider that "discriminating against a field of endeavor" -
> > namely the field that consists of making genuinely relevant and
> > legitimate technical innovations and collect money from patent
> > licenses.

> Actually, the IBM public license has a very similar clause
>
>    If Recipient institutes patent litigation against a Contributor
>    with respect to a patent applicable to software (including a

There's at least two important differences:

1) IBM is only talking about software patents. I'm willing to concede
   that software patents constitute a much more direct threat to free
   software than traditional patents.

2) The only thing that terminates here is patent licences - which is
   separate from the copyright license spoken about by the DFSG.

--
Henning Makholm            "Vi skal nok ikke begynde at undervise hinanden i
                    den store regnekunst her, men jeg vil foreslå, at vi fra