Re: [Olga.Caprotti@risc.uni-linz.ac.at: Research Institute for Applications of Computer Algebra: Licenses]

Scripsit Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net>:

> > Wrong analogy. The above says that that if you steal somebody's
> > car and they demand it back they lose the right to the software.

> I think software authors have a right to reject patents and attempt to
> protect themselves

Of course they have that right. But if they try to use their copyright
on their software as a lever for this, it won't be free.

Remark again that we're not talking about software patents. We're
talking any odd sort of patent, limited only by the fact that the
clause only concerns patents that have nothing to do with the program.

The situation is equivalent to writing a licence that says

  Your license to my program will terminate immediately unless you
  let me have your money.

After all, I have a right to reject private property and attempt to
protect myself against what _I_ see as an assault against my wish to
have your money, surely?

> you should regard patenteers as parasites; I'm merely saying that it
> does not seem fair to refuse other people the right to do so.

Anyone has the right to release their own software under non-free
licenses, yes.

--
Henning Makholm                        "You have nothing but pretty lights!"