Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 15:29, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Shaya Potter <spotter@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
>
> > The FSF wants things to be called GNU/Linux, because its a GNU system
> > with a linux kernel.  The same logic would extend to GNU/w32 in that its
> > a gnu system (or as much a gnu system as anything else) with a w32
> > kernel/ui.
>
> No, because the hallmark, the sine qua non, of a GNU system, is that
> it is free software.  Or, if you doubt me, then go ahead and ask the
> FSF directly and see what their opinion is.

I don't doubt you, as in a perfect world I would agree.  But perhaps I'm
cynicall, as the FSF always wants Linux and GNU mentioned together, but
to me Linux is not necc a "free system" i.e. RedHat distributes software
that the FSF probably doesn't consider free (pine), but would the FSF be
happy or unhappy if they called it RedHat GNU/Linux?  my understanding
is that they would be happy, perhaps I'm mistaken.