Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 10:52:04PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> You steadfastly want to skip that little word "software".  It's the
> Debian free *software* guidelines, and if your goal is to be
> literalistic, then you can't appeal to the DF *Software* G to argue
> about things which are not *Software*.

More ground already covered.

If it's not *Software* then either,

1) We must treat it as such, or;
2) We have no mandate to deal with it at all.

Please review the Social Contract.

> > Let me guess.  You're one of the people who didn't read the thread
> > before replying!
>
> Huh?  You and I still disagree about the point; if you *must* have a
> rigid guideline, then maybe we can work one out, but Anthony is well
> within his rights to argue that a qualitative description is
> adequate.  That question is *not* somehow closed so that people
> joining the conversation now can't revisit it.

And nowhere did I imply thus.  I asked him to read the thread, which he
clearly hadn't.

> > It's probably a good idea to avoid shitting on people for making an
> > effort to be clear by using a little colloquial grease.  Specific
> > suggestions for clarification of my existing wording are welcome.
> > Contrived objections to my proposals are not.
>
> Why are contrived objections to your proposals not allowed, but
> contrived objections to the GFDL are just fine??

I'm sorry, but I cannot see how see my attempt to eluicidate a point is
in any way analogous to an exigesis of the GNU FDL, which is a software
license.

If Anthony, or you, doesn't like my explanation of point 3), you can
simply ignore it.  What's up for consideration is the proposal itself.

I find it endlessly fascinating that, no matter how much trouble one
goes to to distinguish normative pieces of a proposal from descriptive
ones, people manage to conflate the two.  Ironically, this is probably
one reason why Invariant Sections under the GNU FDL could be considered
a bad idea.

Please feel free to mentally insert
	THE INDENTED TEXT IS FOR EXPLANATION PURPOSES ONLY, IT DOES
	NOT FORM PART OF THE NORMATIVE CONTENT OF THE PROPOSAL; IT IS JUST
	PRESENT AS FODDER FOR EXPLANATORY FOOTNOTES IN ANY ADOPTED VERSION OF
	THE PROPOSAL.  ANTHONY TOWNS, THOMAS BUSHNELL, THIS MEANS YOU!
before the indented explanations of each clause of my proposal.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       kernel panic -- causal failure