Re: Licence for free ttf fonts - open source enough?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:00:42PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> But there _are_ good free fonts. Most because someone bought them off
> the author(s) and released them free. Like the OpenOffice fonts.

A few.

> Maybe it would be interesting to ask font designers for the price to
> release their work for free ;)
> Or buy a font, name it after your love and then release it for "free" -
> there's lots of wired stuff to do with arts ;)

The going rate is much higher than most of us would be willing to pay -
I'm betting at least a thousand dollars, especially for a decent font.
(How much would you sell all rights to one of your programs for?)

> The main fear with artists is that they won't be given credit for their
> work, i think.

I'm not sure that being free or not will make any difference. Virtually
every free license demands credit, at least in fact that your name may
not be removed.

> Third, his additions did not fit to my style at all, broke the rythm,
> the symmetries etc.

I think this is a big concern of a lot of font makes, which is part of the
reason they don't have free licenses.

> Maybe we could do a sample "Open Art Licence", based on the Open Music
> and Open Publication Licences? This could encourage artists to publish
> their work under these licenses.

Is it really nessecary? Personally, for fonts, I was going to recommend
either a simple, BSDish license, or the Araphic Font license. An Open
Art License shouldn't be created unless there's actually a need.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each