Re: Licence for free ttf fonts - open source enough?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:46:19AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 12-Oct-2001 Erich Schubert wrote:
> > Please CC: me on replys, i'm not subscribed to the list.
> >
> > I asked the author of some Freeware fonts, if he could licence them
> > under an open source licence.
> > This is his reply, please check the Licence below, if this classifies
> > them open source for Debian.
> >

> art and data are odd areas.  The right to freely modify a work is important to
> free software.  Best thing you can do is point him to our open source
> definition.  I suspect free fonts will never happen, just like other art forms.

I think it important to Debian that we have fully free fonts, regardless
of the questions about other art or data. I and Branden and probably
others would submit a serious bug on any non-free fonts in main.

Many other art forms have been free. Legends, tales and jokes have been
free for the history of mankind. Most of the art that Debian will be
concerned with has high craftmanship aspects, which would lead me to
hope that it would be more likely to be free. IMO, the reason so many
fonts aren't free, is cultural; the font community has non-free license
norms, like the MS-DOS/Windows programming communities (especially
pre-97 or so.) Note the large number of free MetaFont fonts. We just
need to convince font people that they should release under free
licneses.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I saw a daemon stare into my face, and an angel touch my breast; each