Re: New licence for cryto++ code-base

 Stephen Zander said:
> md2.cpp
>
> // md2.cpp - modified by Wei Dai from Sun Microsystems's md2.c
>
> /*
> SKIP Source Code License Statement:
>   Copyright
>   Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>

>   Copyright (C) 1994, 1995 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights
>   Reserved.
>
>   Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
>   obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
>   files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
>   restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
>   copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
>   copies of the Software or derivatives of the Software, and to
>   permit persons to whom the Software or its derivatives is furnished
>   to do so, subject to the following conditions:
>
>   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
>   included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
>
>   The Software must not be transferred to persons who are not US
>   citizens or permanent residents of the US or exported outside
>   the US (except Canada) in any form (including by electronic
>   transmission) without prior written approval from the US
>   Government. Non-compliance with these restrictions constitutes
>   a violation of the U.S. Export Control Laws.

Nope, non-free (discriminates against non-americans).   If I read this right,
unless someone can show prior written approval from the US Government to
distribute this, Debian couldn't put it on ANY server, period, since non-US
folks have access to them.  Why do they place laws into the licenses?  Anyone
bound by the law is bound by the law, regardless of the contract, anyone not
bound by it by law, now is bound by it by contract.

>   THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
>   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES
>   OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
>   NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC., BE LIABLE
>   FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
>   OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
>   CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR DERIVATES OF THIS SOFTWARE OR
>   THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
>
>   Except as contained in this notice, the name of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>   shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote
>   the sale, use or other dealings in this Software or its derivatives
>   without prior written authorization from Sun Microsystems, Inc.

jeff