Re: Opinion needed - included component w/o licensing doc

> This is a followup to a previous message I
> sent to this list.
>
> I sent a request to the 10-year-old address
> of the person who uploaded the program,
> "ccount", to USENet and received the response
> below.
>
> Is this sufficient to include "ccount" in the
> "metrics" package?  If not, what would
> be?  If it is sufficient, should this letter
> be included in the COPYRIGHT file?
>
> Thanks again,
>
>   -=greg

Unfortunately, it sounds like Shane Hartman might not be the only
copyright holder here.  It depends on what "substantially rewrote"
means.  If he used the original code as a guide and reimplemented
everything, then we can probably include the code.  If there is still
large fragments of original code (I believe the FSF uses 10 lines as a
general rule) then we have to get permission from the author of that
original code.

So I think you have to ask him what "substantially rewrote" means.

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu