RE: [Debian] License problems with UPX (ucl)

As there still seems to be some confusion about the license,
let me try to summarize our goals:

1) UPX and UCL are GPL. No part of the file LICENSE should
   invalidate or contradict that.

2) If your compressed program is GPL compatible (like the
   kernel and most Linux programs), well that's very
   fine: you link GPL code with GPL compatible code, and can
   make all changes/modifications/distributions as usual.
   Just ignore the other parts of the file LICENSE because
   they don't affect you.

3) But we also want to allow the usage of UPX for "proprietary"
   or other closed source programs (mainly for the DOS/Windows
   world). Without any exceptional grants this would not be
   possible because of a GPL violation.
   So we grant special exceptions to allow the usage under
   this scenario, but there are some restrictions as well.
   The main idea is to prevent virii/trojans/malicious code/
   non-decompressible programs/etc. - because of the unfortunate
   use of UPX for bad things this is a very real and important
   concern.

   To repeat: the exceptional grants only take effect when compressing
   non GPL compatible programs. They grant you something (linking our code
   with proprietary code), but they also require something (not changing
   our code and not hacking your compressed program).

   Also note that we (and only we) can make such exceptional grants as
   we hold the copyright and all other intellectual rights.

I hope you get our point. Clarifications from competent people
about the wording are welcome.

Markus

----   Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer  @  http://www.oberhumer.com   ----
----     5E CB 5C 85 DE AF 9E BF  E9 DA 7E 6A 39 F8 CC 67     ----