Re: KDE not in Debian?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 02:53:56PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 02:27:08PM -0600, David Welton wrote:

> > In these cases where there are grey areas, I wouldn't really trust
> > our opinions to be all that valid.  Just as we might not trust a
> > lawyer's advice on how to implement a technical issue, maybe we
> > should consider having a lawyer looking at something that falls
> > under their area of expertise before we go off half-cocked.

> First place, I wouldn't call this a grey area. The GNU GPL's author,
> RMS, and many other legal opinions agree, the GPL conflicts with the
> QPL. The licenses are clear enough to establish this point.

Ok, fair enough.

> Second place, we're taking the safe route. No one can sue us for not
> having KDE in Debian.

I think this is a straw man argument.  Think about it, Redhat
distributes KDE, Debian distributes KDE, Redhat has a market cap of 15
billion dollars, Debian doesn't have much at all.  I guess that might
make it easier to 'win' against Debian, but win what?

> Debian doesn't ask lawyers because it can't afford to, money-wise.

I think people have more fun playing lawyer than getting off their
duffs and trying to find someone who would do a few small
consultations for free or reduced prices.  Debian actually has a tidy
sum squirelled away, afaik.

Ciao,
--
  David N. Welton -+- davidw@prosa.it -+- http://www.efn.org/~davidw