Is this Public Domain? And is it DFSG-free?

Hello,

I'm looking at a network analysis tool called 'pchar', which has the
following license:

This work was first produced by an employee of Sandia National
Laboratories under a contract with the U.S. Department of Energy.
Sandia National Laboratories dedicates whatever right, title or
interest it may have in this software to the public. Although no
license from Sandia is needed to copy and use this software, copying
and using the software might infringe the rights of others. This
software is provided as-is. SANDIA DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

What bothers me is the sentence "Although no license from Sandia is needed
to copy and use this software, copying and using the software might
infringe the rights of others". The author himself doesn't see any
problems, as he has placed pchar in the public domain, which is less
restrictive than, e.g., GPL.

As I understand it, the author (or Sandia, depending on which kind of
agreement he has with them) still retains copyright to the software even
though he released it to the public domain. Is this correct?

To sum it up:

1) Is the license DFSG-free as it stands?

2) Can the author re-distribute his software under, e.g., the BSD license
   now, despite having released it with the above license?

Thanks in advance,

Pontus

--
Pontus Lidman, pontus@mathcore.com, Software Engineer
No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up.