Re: Corel's apt frontend

From: Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>

On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 12:16:40PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Well, I'd like the law to agree with you, actually. The problem is
> that copyright law does not consider _reference_ a form of derivation.
> This would give us problem with dynamic libraries, too, except that
> the headers get copied into the application.

The difference between mere reference and derivation, in this case, is
the difference between treating the computer program as a static work
(like a book) and a dynamic work (like a screen play or music score).

Considering the difficulty Bernstein is having -- establishing his first
amendment rights in Bernstein v. US Dept. of Justice -- I doubt there's
much basis in considering a computer program as a purely static work.

--
Raul