Re: SSH never free

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 11:18:03PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >     The TSS encryption algorithm implementation in tss.c is copyright Timo
> >     Rinne and Cirion Oy.  It is used with permission, and permission has
> >     been given for anyone to use it for any purpose as part of ssh.
>
> This violates the DFSG.

TSS could be left out. I don't think it's essential. Even IDEA could be left
out (because of its patent issues), in favor of 3des and blowfish. I think
SSH has a facility for negotiating cyphers between clients based on what's
available on each side.

I do know that at least one of the commercial, proprietary SSH clients omit
IDEA encryption support to avoid the license fee.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org