Re: IBM public license

bruce@perens.com <bruce@perens.com> wrote:
> This is what I got back from IBM's attorney. Given that there seem to
> be other problems that would prevent GPL compatibility, I don't think
> I'll pursue this further.

That's up to you, of course.

Basically, this just seems to be a line of reasoning to the effect
that the GPL would be enforced more firmly if the author is willing to
participate in defending it.  While true, this doesn't seem particularly
relevant to the issue of IBM/GPL compatibility.  [Also, in the specific
case of GPLed code, B has required C redistribute source code with any
binaries, so it's more than clear that B isn't distributing a legal copy
of the source.]

As I'm not currently developing anything which would require mingling of
IBM and GPLed code, I have no immediate need for any such licensing issues
to be dealt with.  And this IBM license *is* much freer than any license
I've seen from IBM.

But I'm curious about these other conflicts.  I've not read the license
closely enough to pin them down or to rule them out.  Having someone
else's insight on the matter would be illuminating.

Thanks,

--
Raul