Re: What does "free" means for a licence or a standard? (Was: Intent to package xmemos

Dragon <kysh@blackwolf.com> wrote:
> Note that I'm not subscribed to Debian-legal... You cannot edit the
> GPL and call it something else, nor can you take pieces out of it. The
> GPL has full copyright.. you can only copy it verbatim. :>

Then again, [I've been told, repeatedly, though not actually looked
up the law and case history] copyright law doesn't protect copyright
licenses.  As long as you take language from the GPL and put it into
your own copyright license, and as long as there's nothing shady (no
misrepresentation, etc.) you should be fine.

--
Raul