Re: The APSL and Export Controls

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Jules Bean:
> > Why don't you (try to) persuade Apple to adjust the wording which
> > makes the 'reasonable' explanation explicit?
>
> Hm...  OK, what do you think should change, exactly?  Would explicit
> handling of the "web site down" be enough?

For me to consider the license free (for some personal meaning of the
word), I'd like the clause made non-binding.

Something like 'make a bona fide attempt to', or 'Apple strongly requests
that'.

As to what would satisfy the OSD - I'm not sure.  IMO, the clause has to
be made a request to satisfy the OSD.  You obviously don't agree.  I know
that in the past we have ruled postcard-ware non-free (heck, we even got
Zope to remove it's attribution clause, IIRC).  I'm pretty sure there are
some others who agree with me, but I'll go quiet now.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, anyhow :-)

Jules