Re: Recently released QPL

Joseph Carter wrote:
> Ahh, you mean use a license that grants me NO PROTECTION AT ALL or use a
> license that grants me lots of protection, but prevents other people from
> using it unless they agree with RMS' ideals?  I don't agree with RMS'
> ideals.  RMS' ideals involve taking away the choice to use non-free
> software, I won't support that!  RMS' ideals are about his marginalized
> and to be quite honest unrealistic view of the world.  The GPL is his
> attempt to force his view on others and now more than ever he's trying to
> cram his views down our throats.

Yet he is remarkably successful in all this forcing and cramming,
particularly given his lack of means of coercion.  I think it is
more likely that there is actually a large group of people who
agree with him.  How do you think Lintian came to be distributed
under the GPL?  RMS certainly didn't tell us to.

> He has already proposed on more than one occasion that Debian get rid of
> the nasty (in his mind) point on our social contract to support people
> who use non-free software and has taken steps to cause us to all but
> delete the contrib and non-free portions of our archive in potato.  It's
> about time someone stood up and pushed for just a little bit of realism
> here.

Cites, please.  I have never seen him propose this, and I have seen
none of these steps.  You are misrepresenting him.

Richard Braakman