Re: Recently released QPL

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 11:27:09AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > If people want to know why I consider the "GPL virus" a bad thing, there
> > is the answer.  If everything that links with the GPL _MUST BE_ 100% GPL,
>
> Everything that links with the GPL does not have to be GPL.

So I would think.  RMS disagrees with you.

> > then there are serious licensing problems with every single Linux
> > distibution if no other reason than because people have in-discriminantly
> > used BSDish code (sans advertising clause) within GPL code.
>
> >From the GPL:
>
>     b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
>     whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
>     part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
>     parties under the terms of this License.
>
> Nothing in the modified BSD license conflicts with this.

Unless "terms of this License" means "this license", as RMS has
indicated.

> Assume that I take a few hundred lines from an X server, a few hundred
> lines from emacs, add a few thousand lines of my own code, and decide to
> publish the resulting program.  It is a derivative of both the X server and
> emacs, and so I must have permission from both XFree and the FSF to
> distribute it.  The license attached to the X server tells me XFree's
> conditions, while the GPL tells me the FSF's.  Since neither requires
> anything that the other forbids, I can go ahead and release my work under
> the terms of the GPL as the FSF requires.  If either license did require
> anything forbidden by the other, I would have to negotiate a new license
> with one of the two copyright owners.

Note RMS says the X license is GPL compatible BECAUSE you can according
to the terms of the X license literally tack the GPL on at the top.

* james would be more impressed if netgod's magic powers could stop the
  splits in the first place...
* netgod notes debian developers are notoriously hard to impress