Re: Squeak in Debian?

Roland Stigge <stigge@antcom.de> wrote:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
> > In sum, I think Squeak should go into non-free once the restricted
> > fonts are removed from the image.  We must choose what level of
> > paranoia we will have about licenses, and I believe we have been too
> > paranoid about Squeak's indemnification clause.
>
> I don't think that the indemnification clause is a problem at all
> (otherwise I would have written it in my original report). In the case
> described by the clause 5, we could refer Apple (or whoever) to the
> clauses 3 and 4 (about disclaimer of warranty and limited liability).

If Apple put in code they don't own and Debian distributed it, then
clause 5 means that when the people sue Apple for that distribution,
Debian has to pay for Apple's defense.  Normally, Debian would only
pay for Debian's defense.

Clauses 3 and 4 just means that if the code doesn't work, don't
complain to Apple.  That only closes out a narrow class of reasons to
sue Apple.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu