Re: DRAFT d-l summary of the OSL v2.0

Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> What do you think of the wording I suggested replacing #6 with?
> Reproduced:
>
> ----
> 6. No Discrimination Against Types of Use
>
> The license must not restrict anyone from using the work for any
> purpose.  For example, it may not restrict the work from being used in
> a business, from being used for genetic research, or from being used to
> provide web services.
> ----
>
> By replacing "field of endeavor" with "use" it's narrower in one sense
> (anything can be a field of endeavor, but "use" is relatively well
> defined), but broader in another by talking about all (or at least
> most) use restrictions.

However, there are two methods of "using" software:  You can run the
software, or you can work with the source code.  Perhaps the following:

"
6. No Discrimination Against Use

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the work in a
specific field of endeavor.  For example, it may not restrict the work from
being run in a commercial setting, from being modified and used for genetic
research, or from being used to provide web services.
"

--Joe