Re: Question about DFSG and a THC project

Jake Appelbaum <jacob@appelbaum.net> writes:

>                         LICENCE FOR HYDRA (all version)
>                      by van Hauser <vh@thc.org>
>

> 1. This software comes with no warrenty or promised features. If it
> works for you - fine. It just comes "AS-IS", which means as a bunch of
> bits and bytes.

This may ban distribution in, for example, analog media.

> 2. Anyone may use this software and pass it on to other persons or
> companies as long as it is not charged for! (except for a small
> transfer/medium fee)

This certainly bans for-profit distribution, and probably at-cost
distribution on expensive media.

> 3. This tool may *NOT* be used for illegal purpose. Please check the law
> which affects your doing. I will have got no liability for any damage
> etc. done with this tool legally or illegaly.
>
> 4. If this tool is used while providing a commercial service (e.g. as
> part of a penetration test) the report has to state the tools name and
> version, and additionally the author (van Hauser) and the distribution
> homepage (http://www.thc.org).

This effectively prohibits creation of derivative works which are not
report-generating penetration testers, and imposes a requirement on
other works (i.e., the report).

> 5. In all other respects the GPL 2.0 applies
>
> LICENCE.HYDRA (END)
>

> The LISCENSE.GNU is the standard GPL 2.0
>

> So my questions regarding this package should be pretty obvious by this
> point.
>
> Is this even possible to package this and hope to get it into Debian?

Non in main, maybe not in non-free.

> Or would this just be considered non-free?
>
> Should I email the upstream author and ask if he can remove those
> additional restrictions to facilitate his project becoming a Debian
> package?

You may wish to ask him if he's using any code written by others and
covered by the GPL: if so, he is violating the copyrights of those others.