how (not) to write copyright files

[I intent to send this to debian-devel-announce, please tell me if I'm
 completely wrong]

Hi,

when reviewing several NMs' packages I came accross many broken
copyright files in recent weeks.  Upon investigation I found that many
(many!) copyright files in the archives are not really any better.

This is an example on how _NOT_ to do it:

| This package was debianized by....
[..]
| Upstream Authors: Donald Duck, Daisy Duck
|
| Copyright:
|
| On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License
| can be found in the `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL' file.

This lacks some quite important information:

- who owns the copyright.  This must give the year and the copyright
  owner.
- It does not really say that the software in question is licensed under
  the GPL, and it loses information like 'GPL v2 or any later version'.

A proper copyright file looks like this:

[...]
| Authors: Donald Duck, Daisy Duck
|
| Copyright 1999, 2000, 2001 Donald Duck
|           2000, 2002 Daisy Duck
|
|  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
|  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
|  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
|  (at your option) any later version.
|
|  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
|  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
|  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
|  GNU General Public License for more details.
|
|  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License with
|  the Debian GNU/Linux distribution in file /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL;
|  if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place,
|  Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
|
| On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
| License, version 2, can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2.

Peter
    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal