Re: BSD Protection License

On 2003-10-22 20:46:09 +0100 Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> wrote:
Could anyone tell me if the "BSD Protection License" can be used
for main?

You should include the text of a licence when asking -legal. I think that isn't necessary until they fix it. It does not appear possible to meet 3c and 4c simultaneously and there is no real indication that you mustn't meet both. Therefore, I suggest that the licence is not free.

Given the preamble, I think I can see what they are trying to do (be incompatible with all other strong copyleft licences and let all derivative works be possible to take proprietary), but it's botched wording. The loose wording in the preamble further suggests that to be the case. Remember, GPL can be used commercially too.

This touches on a frequently-asked case. It appears to offer the same freedoms to all users, but another option to a subset.

Finally, can you call something "BSD" if you aren't descended from UCB?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at