Re: If not GFDL, then what?

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

> Brian T. Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

>> > I'm not convinced by this step in the reasoning.  If they are merely
>> > aggregated, surely others can distribute them in the same packaging?
>>
>> Let's say Alice distributes them as an InstallShield(tm) program, or
>> as a shar-style archive: an installer program which installs the
>> documentation and the useful program.  Certainly nobody can make such
>> an installer -- which is a derived work -- except Alice.
>
> Or as a Debian package?
> Are you arguing that we can distribute GFDL and GPL contents in the
> same package?  You'd be the first...

Did you mean "can't" here?  My expectation is that the FSF treats a
Debian package as more of a portmanteau document than as a program,
and so would call this mere aggregation.

Let's say Alice's installer uses secret-sharing or error-correcting
codes to meld the program and the documentation, then produce separate
works from them.

-Brian