Re: Swiss Ephemeris Public License

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Clause 6 is non-free according to the DFSG because of the phrase you
> cite; it prohibits distribution for profit.

I read that clause slightly differently... the 'without any charge
beyond the costs of data transfer' seems only to apply to the source
code of a modified (or unmodified) machine executable that is
distributed, not the machine executable itself.

That is, if you're distributing under #6 or #4, after charging
whatever you want to charge for the software, you have to allow people
to whom the software has been distributed to receive the source code
with only a reasonable fee for the data transfer itself.

If my reading is reasonable, it is no different than GPL's 3b:

  b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
     years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
     cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
     machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
     distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
     customarily used for software interchange; or,

Don Armstrong

--
DIE!
 -- Maritza Campos http://www.crfh.net/d/20020601.html