Re: Licensing requirements ???

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 05:01:55PM -0700, David Schleef wrote:
> > My client wants to retain all rights to their software, and is not
> > willing to release their software in any `free' software fashion.
> >
> > Also, in order to manage problems and maintain SLA's, this software is
> > to be sold as an integral piece of a system -- somewhat of a blackbox.
> > In other words, their customers will pay one basic price, and receive an
> > installed hardware server, on which Debian and software are installed
> > turnkey.
> >
> > Everything other than the proprietary software is straight DEB
> > installed, so their is no issue of distributing modified `free'
> > software.  However, the MySQL licensing model seems to indicate that a
> > licensing fee is due them; and, I wonder about others.
>
> I am not aware of any MySQL problems; can you give a pointer to
> what you are concerned about?

MySQL's interface library was changed to GPL, from LGPL.  This isn't a no-
commecial-use (which would be non-free), but it has the same effect in most
cases.

I seem to recall there being an LGPL fork, though.

Alternatively, if you're not yet set on a database, you could use postgresql;
it's BSD-licensed.

--
Glenn Maynard