Re: GFDL

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 11:06, Fedor Zuev wrote:

> 	The same (see above) point is not correct for political
> speech.  Unlimitedly modifiable political speech is _not_ a normal
> mode of operation and never was.

Sure it was. Free copying, modification, etc. of all writing, music,
etc. was the normal mode of operation before copyright law.

One example: "Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen" and
the "Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen."[1]

Another example, a more infamous one: South Carolina's succession from
the union borrows from the (U.S.) Declaration of Independence.[2]

A third example, "Seneca Falls Declaration of Sentiments and
Resolutions" also borrows from the Declaration of Independence.

It wasn't acceptable for people to modify it and claim it still
represented the view of the original author, but no one here expects
that, either.

>  So, when you demand DFSG-compliant
> (free-censorable)  political texts, you not help to recover the
> effective and honest mode of operation, but create purely fictional
> requirement, which is not justified by any actual need, and is not
> backed by any actual practice.

See above.

FOOTNOTES:
     1. I apologize if I butchered either title. Titles were a result of
        a quick google search. Not knowing a word of French doesn't
        help....
     2. e.g., "We, therefore, the people of South Carolina, by our
        delegates in convention assembled, appealing to the Supreme
        Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, have
        solemnly declared that the Union heretofore existing between
        this state and the other states of North America is dissolved;
        and that the state of South Carolina has resumed her position
        among the nations of the world, as [a] separate and independent
        state, with full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract
        alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and
        things which independent states may of right do." is clearly
        borrowed from the last paragraph of the Declaration of
        Independence