Re: GFDL

[RMS not CCed]

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:39:13PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I have only criticized Debian for one thing, and that is the practice
> > of distributing non-free software (programs).  This is something
> > Debian has done for many years, not something I imagine it might do.
>
> I don't think you understand the distinction between "what Debian
> distributes" and "the Debian distribution".  The latter is a subset of
> the former.

Well, I think this creates a bit of cognitive dissonance.  So,
presumably, does Bruce Perens, who has called upon us to kick non-free
to the curb.

I mean, come on.  We expect people to intuitively understand
"distribution" as something other than "that which gets distributed"?

At the *very* least, we need to greatly improve our terminology.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Eternal vigilance is the price of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     liberty.