OT: mailing list linkage [Re: old and new GNU documentation licenses, and the some of the manuals to which they apply]

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, Branden Robinson wrote:
> [ UH OH.  I just noticed that the de-spamification of the mailing
> list archives has caused some URLs from Google to point to the wrong
> messages.  IMO this is deeply unfortunate.  :(
>
> For example, search Google for "final interpretive guideline DFSG"
> and note that the top link result doesn't go to that message, but
> rather to a different one.
>
> This deeply sucks.  It will take ages for Google to correct its view
> of our entire mailing list archives.  :( :( :( ]

I think a few of the listmasters are looking at finding a better way
to archive things like this. [At least, Josip indicated that they
were... ;-)]

I myself am playing around a bit with lurker and/or looking at
extending our existing archive to support referencing messages by
message id, rather than by a mutable message number within an archive
as currently used.

Hopefully something better will be in use soon.

Don Armstrong

--
Q: What Can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the
Experience of the Past Million Years?

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu