Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:19:03PM -0400, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Free text is a matter of the reader's freedom to read, copy,
> distribute, study, change, and improve the text.  More precisely, it
> refers to five kinds of freedom, for the readers of the text:
>
> * The freedom to read the text, for any purpose. (0)
> * The freedom to study how the text is written, and adapt it to your
>   needs.  Access to the text in the preferred form for modification is
>   a precondition for this. (1)
> * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor. (2)
> * The freedom to improve the text, and release your improvements to
>   the public, so that the whole community benefits.  Access to the
>   preferred form for modification is a precondition for this. (3)
> * The freedom to keep your modifications, or even your possession of a
>   copy of the text, confidential. (4)

Woohoo!  My fifth freedom lives!

I would only suggest s/text/content/, so that non-texual material
(illustrations and so forth) are also unambiguously covered.

[analysis snipped]

Bravo.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I am sorry, but what you have
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mistaken for malicious intent is