Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:33:37PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200305/msg00092.html
>
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> > I once had a big old nasty flamewar with the FTP admins that
> > was tangentially related to this point, but the FTP admins and I agreed
> > that having non-free source code in a package's .orig.tar.gz was
> > unacceptable even if it wasn't "used for anything" and did not appear in
> > any binary packages.
>
> So I concede the point.  In any case, making a new orig.tar.gz isn't
> any harder than having the diff take it out.

It's possible the FTP admins' assessment has changed since the debacle
in question, which was a couple/3 years ago.

My personal feeling is that we should not knowingly let non-free works
into the Debian OS.  The Debian OS is source as well as "binaries".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he