Re: Outcome of PHPNuke discussion

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:33:33PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I'm totally lost in the discussion.  Do we (=Debian)
> buy the statement from the FSF that the copyright notice at the
> bottom of any phpnuke-generated page must not be removed and that
> this is not a new restriction to the GPL?

> I see that phpnuke is still in main in testing and unstable,
> but that does not have to mean much.

The consensus that emerged from that thread (and IIRC, David Turner
agreed after examining the claims more closely) was that the phpnuke
author's requirement is not a natural consequence of the GPL, and that
the software is not free.

The maintainer indicated that he would move the package out of main, but
this doesn't seem to have happened yet.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer