Re: GNU TLS OpenSSL compatibility layer under GPL, not LGPL

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 03:05:04PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> > Sure, code can be rewritten to use gnutls natively.  But I don't
> > understand why anyone would consider this a useful expenditure of
> > developer resources when the necessary OpenSSL compat glue could simply
> > be made available under the LGPL.

> I suppose it depends on whose resources are being wasted.  Certainly the
> GNU project's resources aren't.

Perhaps not directly.  Who knows how many people who would otherwise be
spending time on GPL software will instead be stuck porting
free-but-GPL-incompatible software to use GNU TLS?  I find that hard to
justify.

> FWIW, porting to the native API didn't turn out to be difficult.  If the
> GNU TLS project doesn't bend on the licensing issue, it might behoove us
> to write a Porting HOWTO, or some such.

I would appreciate seeing such a document.  It seems GPL-compatibilty
with SSL-enabled postgres libs will be an issue soon for me because of
freeradius.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer