Re: Debian registered by a trade as TM in Spain!

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:24:25PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> From what I've gleaned from the reports (third-hand, as I don't know
> Spanish), they are using the trademark as backing for a "certification
> program" in connection with courses they offer. Seing how they
> apparently have no respect for names or trademarks, one wonders how
> qualified they are in other respects. Will one of their "officially
> certified Debian technicians" be any good in practise, and does Debian
> want to be tainted with the implication that the project especially
> endorses their courses?

A third-hand account (someone posting to barrapunto saying he knows
people who took classes there) claims that their Linux cert program is
taught on RedHat systems by an instructor who doesn't like Linux at all
(being a Mac user).

So I would say we probably don't want them using the Debian name without
some supervision.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer