Re: Knuth statement on renaming cm files and Licence violation.

> The reference to enforcement by shunning and community effort seems to
> indicate otherwise.  I've been trying to read that statement from
> every angle I can think of, but I just can't find a consistent meaning
> other than that Knuth has put this in the public domain, but makes strong
> requests of the community of users of the code he wrote.

I don't think so. He states clearly that this is in violation of the
copyright notice, the bit about community pressure is an indication that
he thinks that is an effective way (as opposed to the courts) of
enforcing the rules. (It seemed to work in that case:-)

Sadly, I don't own a copy of Computers & Typesetting vol E either.

Frank's quoted parts of it here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200208/msg00009.html
No doubt he could quote the full text of the notice if it's thought
important.

David