Re: autoconf/Artistic compatibility

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:09:39AM +0100, Stephen Stafford wrote:
> I am in the process of discussions with upstream about the licensing for a
> new package.
>
> The package build system is autoconf based.
>
> Upstream really likes the Artistic license and would prefer to release with
> that.
>
> Is there any incompatibility with using the Artistic license when using an
> autoconf(GPL) build system?

As Glenn says, there is no problem here.

If you can get this person to consider using the Clarified Artistic
License or the Artistic License 2.0, then that might be a good thing.
http://dev.perl.org/rfc/211.pod explains the problems with the original
Artistic, and http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html links to
the revised versions.