Re: GPL exception for the OpenSSL library

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 01:14:12AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Simon Law <sfllaw@engmail.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
>
> > 	Could we also pseudo-uniquely identify COPYING.OpenSSL with an
> > MD5 checksum?  That is:
>
> I think in the upstream sources, the file is called "LICENSE", and it
> changes once a year (because of the included copyright statement), so
> including a md5sum is not a terribly good idea.

	However, including COPYING.OpenSSL without the MD5SUM has the
same problem.  Both versions imply that you can only link to certain
versions of OpenSSL when distributing the GPLed program.

	Is there any legal means of allowing COPYING.OpenSSL to be the
version released by the OpenSSL project _now_ but with minor changes in
such things as copyright dates?  The OpenSSL group may one day change
their license to something completely different and non-free.

Simon