Re: Libapache-mod-backhand: load balancing Apache requests.

Henning Makholm wrote:

> Scripsit Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl>
>
> > We could get the cited "prior written permission", but if that
> > permission applies only to Debian then I think we run into DFSG
> > clause 8, "License must not be specific to Debian".
>
> I don't think so. I think DFSG #8 means "the software must be
> free even if you are not Debian". I don't think that the mere fact
> that Debian has more rights than others make the software non-free,
> as long as others do have the rights required by the DFSG.

I agree with you.  But we still might not want to try to obtain
more rights than our users have anyway.

Clearly, it's apache authors wish that Debian distributes the
apache packages under new names since that how they licensed it.
If they are unhappy with that, they'll reconsider their license.
We'd only be going along with their wishes.  (No, this is not a
threat.  I just don't see the problem of following the license in
the first place).

Peter