Re: Python 1.6 license DFSG free ?

This is not legal advice, no attorney-client relationship is established, etc. etc.

My understanding is that Virginia law would be applied by the Albanian court (provided, among other things, jurisdiction can be obtained in Albania and provided the Albanian court will accept the contractual choice of law clauses (most, but not all, jurisdictions do)).

The "excluding conflict of law provisions" wording is intended to avoid the situation where the conflict of law provisions in Virginia would deem that some law other than Virginia's (e.g. Albanian law) should be applied to the dispute.

From: Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>
To: debian-legal@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Python 1.6 license DFSG free ?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:32:09 +0100

I'd be interested to know what this means:

   7. This License Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in
   all respects by the law of the State of Virginia, excluding
   conflict of law provisions.

If someone in Albania, say, is violating the licence, and CNRI wants
to sue them in Albania, in an Albanian court, what does it mean for
Virginia law to apply?

Edmund