Re: FWD: Analog licence violates DFSG

Scripsit Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>

> > We've had arguments over export regulations, and the general consensus
> > is that they aren't DFSG free, so this isn't either.

> I don't follow. This is not an export restriction.

No, but the problem with export restriction clauses is not that they
concern export laws specifically. The problem is that such a clause
essentially incorporates the entire applicable body of laws into the
license terms by reference. Thus any silly and unjust rules found in
a law anywhere is *a part of the license* as far as at least some
potential Debian users are concerned.

The clause is not a no-op. If I cross the street when the red light
is on (which has happened), it does matter quite a lot to me whether
I get fined DKR 500, or I get fined DKR 500 and then sued for
DKR 50.000 because I broke the contract that otherwise allowed me to
distribute this software to 100 of my friends.

--
Henning Makholm                              "I consider the presence of the
                                      universe to be a miracle. The universe