Re: New Apache license compatible with GPL? (Was: [Talin@ACM.org: Suggestions for wording...?])

    I believe that you can distribute a program under the GNU General Public
    License and a seperate Trademark license. That is what AbiSource does with
    AbiWord. And I don't think it restricts the freedom of the user since it
    is still allowed to distribute derived works.

I agree.

    What does not seem to be compatible with the GPL is trying put any further
    restrictions on the user by invoking normal copyright law. By trying to use
    copyright law in the Apache license to restrict the rights of recipient to
    use an arbitrary word in the use of their derived work doesn't seem to be
    compatible with the GPL.

Right, that is where the incompatibility comes from.