Starting fresh on my Toshiba A105-S2101 and want a custom kernel

After happily using my laptop for the last couple years I've decided to
streamline it a good bit.  My hard disk that contains the existing
Debian Sid install has been replaced with a clean drive.

I believe I could get some speed with a custom kernel and would like to
know how much trouble it will be to create one for this laptop.  Is
anyone running one on their (similar) system?

After I get the kernel compiled, can I just apt-pin it to keep it from
getting upgraded later?  Examples?

Any information to help me along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/