Re: postinstallation: drive_cmd: seek complete error

On Monday 07 January 2008 14:11:24 Franklin Piat wrote:
> Martin,
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:17:19 +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you installed Etch or Testing ?
> >
> > testing netinstall, but I will try it again with the CD-1 of testing.
>
> This should be fine.

> >> Can you boot in single-user mode ?
> >
> > yes, but problem remains
>
> So it's not due to Xorg.
>
> I guess you have a T61 with an Nvidia graphic. Can you tell me what's your
> T61 "type" (it's written on the laptop's sticker).

8889-2BG S/N L3 -K8253 07/12

> Can you try to boot with kernel parameter "vga=1" or "vga=871".

vga=1 same problem
vga=871 gave: unrecognized value and a list to choose from or "scan". "scan"
had no effect and returned to the list. Choosing 0 resulted in the same
error: blank screen.

ah!
after the nth reboot I got a prompt to enter my  root pwd for maintenance,
then I was able to reconfigure my xorg and after reboot I received the same
error message but now changing between: error-blank-error-blank.... and
finally a detailed error message that x-server couldn't be started and the
log-output is:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserve-xorg and using the "autodetection values"
resulted in a blank screen without any CLI.

UsingATI, nVidia caused the flickering monitor. Applying Vesa finally gave me
a graphical login screen however the refresh rate is too low

how do I find the correct settings?

TFT Display; 1400x1050 (SXGA+); 14,1 Zoll (35,8 cm)
128 MB GDDR SDRAM; nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M

and BTW dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not prompt monitor queries anymore,
just mouse and keyboard.

[...]

thanks for your help so far.

Martin