Re: Boot on CD, transfer to USB?

Robert Goley wrote:
How do I make an initrd do this?   The only initrd I've made so far was as
a result of compiling a new kernel, and I don't see how that will help.

Installing a default Debian kernel creates the needed image for each kernel. You can follow the Debian way of compiling kernels if your setup requires a custom kernel.
Peter A. Bonucci

The initrd was built picking up info from /etc/fstab. You may have to make temporary changes to fstab, run yaird to produce a new initrd for the partition where you are going to run it (and remember to backout changes to fstab). I have been able to boot a Debian on an USB-HD, it was not easy to set it up.