KDE/KDM Logout Freeze

Hello,

I'm not sure that this is a laptop related issue or not.  Either way, here's a rundown of the problem.

Upon boot, everything comes up fine.  KDM appears and everything is configured just fine.  I can log in to KDE and everything works.  The problem is on log out.

About 50% of the time (sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row actually) the system freezes.  A black screen appears (sometimes with a pointer, sometimes without) and the system hangs.  CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE does nothing to rectify the situation.  Nor does CTRL-ALT-F1 through F6.  There is no way out of it aside from 'just pulling the plug.'  It doesn't seem to matter if i 'End Session', 'Turn Off', or 'Restart Computer'.

Upon googling for an answer, I've seen many references to running arts with real time priority.  I have tried enabling (default) and disabling with no apparent difference.  Because of this, I'm guessing it has nothing to do with arts.  On a hunch I disabled ACPI with the 'acpi=off' boot parameter.  With ACPI off, I've only gotten it to hang one time.

If it was ACPI causing the hang I would expect that turning ACPI off would immediately solve the problem.  This one is eluding me so I come to ask if anyone has experienced this.  Any help would be appreciated.

My next ideas are to use xdm (ick) or gdm for a login manager and possibly try Gnome or FluxBox for WM and see if I can spot who's causing this.  There seem to be no references at all in any log files what so ever to indicate an error.  I'm at a loss here, and before adding a ton of packages to try to resolve it I figured I would ask here.

ACPI? Laptop LCD not reinitialized? KDE? KDM? Xorg?  If you have any suggestions on methods to try to solve this or ways you possibly solved your own problem I am excited to hear them.  Darn thing hanging is really annoying when I just want to switch users.

Thank you,

Doug Miller