cdc-acm.ko (usb-serial) anyone using it successfully? (sarge)

Hi,

Well, I've been educating myself re: using the cell phone (Motorola
E815) as a modem.

In a suitably modern system (sarge) on a machine with working USB
ports, plugging the phone generates the voluminous output I posted
previously, so the phone is recognized by the USB system, yet the
serial port over usb driver (cdc-acm.ko from what I read) is not
loaded automatically.  Once this is done manually, the device
/dev/ttyACM0 appears, but I can get nothing out of it via minicom.
stty reports 9600 baud.

Has anyone used this driver/tty successfully? On a cell phone?
I'm using 2.6.8 (standard sarge kernel).  Dialup Networking (DUN)
has been enabled on the phone, so I should be getting replies to AT
commands.  Until I get that, no ppp or faxes are possible.  What am
I missing?

Thanks for any hints.

Augustine