Re: bootlogd

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 03:25 pm, Colin Cotter wrote:
> Dear list,
>
>       Looks like I drew a blank on this one. Or did I phrase the question
> wrong?
>
> --Colin
>
> On 11/22/05, Colin Cotter <colinjcotter@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> >     I've noticed a number of strange things in my boot messages and I
> > would like to take a closer look. The first stage in this is to get
> > bootlogd working.
> >
> > I set Yes in my /etc/default/bootlogd and when I boot I get
> >
> > bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor
> >
> > and the boot log is not written. Does anybody recognise this problem
> > or know of a solution?
> >
> > best wishes
> >
> > --Colin
> >
> > --
> > http://www.gloworms.org.uk
>
> --
> http://www.gloworms.org.uk

You have to move /etc/rcS.d/S0?bootlogd to /etc/rcS.d/S11bootlogd (i.e.
after /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh)...I don't know what the original file name
was because I already moved it but I believe it was /etc/rcS.d/S05bootlogd.

The call to openpty() will fail in bootlogd.c if /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh has
not been run when you call /etc/init.d/bootlogd. I believe that this because
the virtual file systems are not mounted correctly until the checkroot.sh
script is run.

This is on a Debian Sarge system with kernel 2.6.8-2-686.

I was looking for a better solution myself so that more of the boot sequence
could be logged, but ran out of time to research it as I believe it would
require rewriting the bootlogd.c source file to use a different mechanism for
the pty that it currently needs to allocate, and I don't have time to
re-engineer the program.

HTH

MGL
--