Re: Using WPA without wpa_supplicant?

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 19. Oktober 2005 11:17 schrieb Frank:
> I don't believe you have to use anything besides what wireless-tools
> provides for every card.
> I am using WPA with my ralink based card with the following entry
> in /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>         pre-up ifconfig eth1 up
>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set EncrypType=TKIP
>         pre-up iwconfig eth1 essid "youressid"
>         pre-up iwpriv eth1 set WPAPSK="yourkey"
>
> I don't even have wpa_supplicant installed.
> If you need any additional info, just ask.

It depends. Some cards (like my ipw2100) don't have any interesting iwpriv
controls, while others (as yours, as mine PrismII) have a lot.
As long as you are referering to wpa as wpa-psk, you'll surely find some cards
implementing TKIP, etc. in firmware (as yours) and you surely find some who
don't.
If you're looking at other wpa standards (like wpa-radius, etc.) the wpa
clients must handle varous keystores, trust dbs, etc. and I'ven't seen any
card, that's able to do that - for good reasons.

Keep smiling
yanosz