Re: How does one control fans?

Frank said...
> > > and tell the kernel to use the ondemand governor for frequency scaling:
> > > # echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> >
> > My problem is that /cpufreq/scaling_governor doesn't appear until after
> > I do:
> > # modprobe acpi_cpufreq
> > Is that correct?
>
> I am not sure about that one. I don't have this module loaded (even gives a
> "busy" error when modprobing it) and still have the /cpufreq/scaling_governor
> available. But I am on the AMD64 kernel, which might be different from x86.

Okay, I will have to dig deeper.

> > > (you will have to do that every time you boot, so add a script to your
> > > runlevel)
> >
> > What? And miss out on all that typing?
>
> If you don't compile your own kernel, you are stuck with the options the
> Debian default kernel uses. This means, it will use the "performance" governor
> as default governor. So I wrote a small script, which I put into /etc/init.d
> and link into runlevel 2, to select the "ondemand" governor, e.g.:

Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely be using it. At the moment, I
could simply add
# modprobe acpi_cpufrq
at the start of the script for it to work, but I'd like to understand
what acpi_cpufreq is doing - Koen says it's a " cpufreq processor
driver", so that's where I'll start.

--
Best,
Marc