Re: How does one control fans?

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 11:29 +0100, marc wrote:
> Ah, something else to explore. I installed the cpudyn package and that
[...]
> Which modules and packages are the "best" too use, or to start with?

The userspace governor is just a kind of man-in-the-middle, allowing
userspace programs, such as cupfreqd, to set the cpu frequency. In the
early days, I had that one on my laptop. But then new kernel governors
appeared, such as 'conservative'. Basically, this governor reduces the
frequency when the system is not doing much, and increases it when it
gets busy. You can tune some parameters, such as the thresholds.

I don't know what's included in your kernel. But what you'll need to do
is enable CPU frequency scaling, select a default governor (I chose
'performance'), and select the governors you want to use (so I added
'conservative'). Either include them in the kernel or compile them as
modules and load them. You can then look
at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors for
a list of governors that are available, and choose one by writing its
name to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor. I might
have missed a step, so if it doesn't work, simply Google around.

> > Otherwise, maybe the thermal trip points are too low. Look
> > at /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature to determine the temperature
> > according to the system.
> I don't have /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ :-(

Do you have CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL set? Your /var/log/messages should show
something like 'ACPI: Thermal Zone [THRM] (xx C)'.

> Should I install acpi? I see a debian acpi package, but it appears to be
> different to the stuff on that web-site.

The acpi package contains the acpi daemon, which you may use to do
something when an acpi event (closing the lid, pressing the power
button, etc.) occurs.

> I'm also on a hunt for the speedstep_centrino module, which bombs when I
> try to load it. I'm guessing that this requires a kernel rebuild... but
> who knows!

What do you mean by 'it bombs'? I guess you need one of those drivers,
because otherwise cpufreq probably has no way to change the frequency of
the processor.

Koen